Welcome to our Inaugural Spring Event: Blossom & WoodStock!
Blossom & Wood is hosting the inaugural Blossom & WoodSTOCK on May 1, 2021 with our partners at the Benson Food Forest located at 6715 Corby St, Omaha, NE from 10-1pm
Check out all the details below from the silent auction to the itinerary to FAQs.
We can't wait to safely see you there!
May 1, 2021 10am - 1pm
We are starting the day by planting a chestnut tree and reciving a land blessing for the Benson Food Forest.
Join our very own culinary expert and registered dietitian, Meghan McLarney show her talents using dandelions as an edible snack!
ADULT GUIDED MEDITATION
We are honored to have Executive Director, Johnathan Woodside, of Mindfulness Outreach Initiative guide a group of adults through a peaceful meditation experience. Find him under the apple tree.
CHILDREN'S GUIDED MEDITATION
Children will get a chance to participated in a guided meditation as well!
Incase you miss the 11am demo, join Meghan for round #2 of learning how to use dandelions in the kitchen.
ALL DAY ACTIVITIES
All day you can participate by helping to plant edible trees, plants, and bushes, participate in arts and crafts, and peruse our silent auction items.
All the Answers, Right Here
IS THIS FOR HIPPIES ONLY? WHO CAN COME TO BLOSSOM & WOODSTOCK?
Anyone and everyone is invited to our community celebration! Young, old, city slickers and tree huggers alike are encouraged to join. We welcome everyone from all backgrounds and abilities – including our friends with sensory needs. While we hope to make the Benson Food Forest easily accessible for people in wheelchairs and strollers someday, our pathways are not yet built. Please know we have flat, unpaved dirt ground right now and plenty of volunteers happy to help if needed.
IS THERE AN ENTRY FEE? DO I HAVE TO DONATE?
There is no fee or cost to celebrate with us! There is a suggest donation of $10/adult. Of course, we treasure any amount of donation given but there will be no pressure to donate. If you want to be our VIP guest tickets are $50 and include some awesome swag and breakfast from Gravy Train, you can sign up here for a $50 tax-deductible donation.
WHAT DOES “CELEBRATING THE DANDELION” MEAN?
“Celebrating the dandelion” is our theme for this year. Dandelions are plentiful in Nebraska – and edible (delicious)! Many of our activity stations, including our cooking demo, will center around dandelions.
WHAT ACTIVITIES WILL BE AT BLOSSOM & WOODSTOCK?
We will kick off our celebration with a land blessing at 10 am.
Stations will open following the land blessing. Current stations planned:
1. Vermicomposting – learn about and play with worms
2. Planting station – help us start our seedlings in the greenhouse
3. Flower crowns – make your own crown out of plants and flowers
4. Nature art – join our community artist in making art using nature and clay
5. Kids T-shirt – For a minimum donation, decorate a shirt to take home using a variety of painting tools like dandelions and food scraps
6. Meditation station – Guided meditation in nature @ 11 am for adults and 11:40 for children.
7. Silent auction – bid on fun items while donating to a great cause
8. Cooking demo – hang out with our dietitian and learn how and why to cook with dandelions (plus free samples!) @ 11 am and noon
Before you leave: every family is welcome to take home an herb plant (while supplies last.)
CAN I BRING MY KIDS? ARE STROLLERS OK?
Yes! Please bring your kids/nieces/nephews etc. – most of our activities are geared toward kids of all ages and abilities. And many of our volunteers have experience working with children and adults with varied sensory needs and learning abilities.
- We do not allow children to be left unintended. Please stay and enjoy the festival along with your children.
- Strollers are welcome but know we do not have any paved paths yet. The festival and activities will be on dirt ground.
WHAT ITEMS WILL BE AT THE SILENT AUCTION? CAN I BID FROM MY PHONE/VIRTUALLY?
We are still organizing all our amazing donations for the silent auction. So far, we will have one-of-a-kind artwork, “go green” gift baskets, numerous restaurant vouchers and a vermicomposting kit – worms included.
We hope to make our silent auction bids available virtually as well as in-person at the festival. Keep checking back here for updates.
ARE DOGS ALLOWED?
While we love our furry friends, we will open this festival to humans only. Feel free to walk your dog around the perimeter but please do not bring your dog onto the festival grounds.
WILL THERE BE FOOD?
We will be providing small samples of dandelion salad and dandelion tea. Our VIP donors will get a boxed breakfast provided by Gravy Train. We encourage our participants to patronize Benson’s many amazing restaurants that are within walking distance from our festival.
CAN I COME AT ANY TIME? DO I HAVE TO STAY THE WHOLE TIME?
Feel free to come and go anytime between 10 am and 1 pm. We will have activities going throughout that time. The only activities that have set schedules are:
- Land blessing – 10 am
- Cooking demo – 11 am and noon
- Guided meditation at 11 and 11:40
ARE YOU TAKING COVID PRECAUTIONS?
Everyone on the Blossom & Wood team takes COVID seriously.
o We screen all our volunteers and require them to wear masks.
o All stations will have hand sanitizer and cleaning materials.
o All activities will be outdoors.
o We will space out our stations to help maintain social distancing.
DO I NEED TO WEAR A MASK?
Everyone 5 years old and older is required to wear a mask.
SHOULD I SIGN A WAIVER?
We ask all participants to sign a waiver upon entry.
WILL THERE BE INDOOR SEATING OR ACTIVITIES?
- All activities will be outdoors on our open field. Be ready to enjoy nature and whatever weather mother nature brings on May 1st. If it is a sunny day, please know the Benson Food Forest trees are still young and provide limited shade. We will have a few tents available for shade.
What if it rains?
- Some activities may be limited if it rains but we will continue on, rain or shine. Be sure to bring your umbrella and boots for the mud if rain is in the forecast! However, we will reschedule if it downpours or thunderstorms.
WHAT IS THE VIP TICKET?
- The VIP ticket is for a $50 donation and includes a reusable canvas bag, assorted donated goodies, a potted herb plant (like basil) and a to-go breakfast box of biscuits and gravy from Omaha’s famous Gravy Train. Plus bragging rights and a swell feeling for being awesome enough to support Blossom & Wood’s cause.
- Ticket purchases are limited! We ask that you purchase your VIP ticket at least 2 days in advance – we also have a limited number of VIP tickets and may sell out.
- You can pick up your VIP breakfast and canvas goodie bag at any point during the festival. Or contact us here to arrange a different pick-up time.